I call her Goose (for silly goose). We tell each other many, many things. We’ve cried and laughed together. I mourned with her when she tragically lost her brother suddenly before Christmas. I rejoice in all her updates on her miracle twins boys (who turned 6 on January 8). She’s my #HeartSister (hat tip to my lovely friend, Galit, whose love language I enjoy so much). I’m so happy to pair up with Kir of The Kir Corner this week for #AskAwayFriday!
This fun weekly link up is hosted by Penny of The Real Housewife Of Caroline Country and Amber from Bold Fab Mom. Typically for Ask Away Friday, bloggers pair up, swap 10 questions,answer them on their blogs, and link up their posts with Penny and Amber. It’s such a great way to get to know someone better.
1. How are you today? (Thought we’d start out with what I’d ask you on any given day)
Thank you for asking! I had a good start to my day (it is Sunday night as I write this) as I got to sleep in until 7.45 am! It’s also the day I got my hands on a 50mm lens, one which I’ve been eyeing for a while. My sister and her husband gifted it to me (very early birthday present). I’ve been snapping away all day!
2. If you were an animal, what would you be and why? (This is my favorite interview question, it tells me a lot about a person. For the record, I consider myself an otter.)
A cat. I do as I please. I like sleeping. I have good toilet habits. I am stealthy. I love my humans, although I like time away from them sometimes.
3. You write about motherhood quite a bit, if there was one piece of advice you’d share with a new mom, what would it be?
It will be okay. You will be okay, and so will the baby. Ask for help. Shower everyday. Eat when you can. Drink a lot of water. Don’t forget your husband. Breastfeed or bottle feed, it doesn’t matter, as long as the baby gets fed. Don’t worry about sleep training or when the baby will sleep through the night. He/ she will when they’re ready. Take some time for yourself, even if it’s just to grab a coffee. You’re doing a good job. You are. You know I couldn’t stick to just one piece of advice, right?
4. I know you have dozens (hundreds) of friends online, do you have a best friend in your off screen life? If so, tell us just a little bit about her/him. (Please, only as much as you feel comfortable sharing)
I have a couple of best friends. Jasmine and I have been friends since we were 15. We lived in the same apartment for a few months when we started college (pre-university). We hung out together a lot when we both started working in Kuala Lumpur after graduation. We rarely saw each other when she moved to London, but always caught up and picked up where we left off when we did meet up. I just saw her in Singapore, where she lives now, over the new year. It’s like we were never apart, talking for hours.
My sister is my other best friend. We’ve had our ups and downs, but more of the former. We are awesome travel buddies. She’s an amazing aunt to my boys. I would do anything for her, and she would do the same for me.
5. We both share a love of cupcakes, what is your favorite kind?
I love red velvet. I do have to throw in a mention of my lemon cupcakes, because, yum.
6. Before you became a high powered blogger and exceptional mom, you worked a high power job as a marketing executive. Do you ever miss the high heels and corporate work day?
I’m an average blogger, and an okay mom, but thank you for your high praise! I don’t miss high heels or a corporate work day. I love being able to be home with my children. I enjoy my freelance writing work, social and blogging consultation business, and my new gig with BonBon Break. I don’t think I could achieve the kind of satisfaction in so many areas of my life if I worked at my old job. The one perk I do miss? International travel.
7. Of all the places your writing has been featured what is the one piece being featured or published that meant the most to you and why?
It’s starting to occur to me that I can’t pick just one of anything. Because I have two pieces of writing that I love that I’m really proud of – my first piece, Mothering Through The Generations published on The Huffington Post last year, and the first original article I submitted to BonBon Break, Raising Boys The Girl Way. Go read them?
8. We are both the mom of two boys, what are the best and not-so-good-sometimes parts of that for you?
Best part – I’m the queen bee. Not-so-good-sometimes – I’m the queen bee.
9. What is your favorite book of all time?
10. What is the one question you wished someone would ask you? (Consider it asked !)
What’s on my gift wish list! (I know, cheeky)
Thank you for your fun questions, Kir! I loved pairing up with you this week. Now, head on to Kir’s to check out her answers to my 10 questions.
If you want to join #AskAwayFriday and need someone to swap questions with, let me know!
I wrote about the day my toddler taught me an important lesson in slowing down, and being present in the moment, at Mamalode. Head over and say hi? Thank you!
Comment on any two posts on my blog in January, and stand a chance to win one 30-day 150×150 sidebar ad! Find out more here.