When I see something with the word ‘coconut’ in it, I immediately want to make out with it.
A few weeks ago, I had an urge for something coconuty, and I had to use up some coconut milk, so I looked and found this easy vegan recipe for coconut cupcakes, on Chef Chloe.
I Instagrammed (of course I did!) after I pulled them out of the oven and frosted them, that I didn’t think they were that good.
The next day however, eh, they were pretty yummy. One of those things that taste better the next day.
So here they are. Vegan Coconut Cupcakes. Eat, lick and be merry.
- For the cupcake:
- 1 ¾ cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 cup coconut milk
- ½ cup canola oil
- 2 tablespoons vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon white or apple cider vinegar
- For the coconut frosting:
- 1 cup unrefined coconut oil (should be solid at room temperature)
- 3 cups powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 2 to 5 tablespoons coconut milk (or other nondairy milk)
- 2 cups shredded coconut
- To make the coconut cupcakes:
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Line 2 (12-cup) cupcake pans withcupcake liners.
- In a large bowl, whisk together flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. In a separate bowl, whisk together coconut milk, oil, vanilla, and vinegar. Pour the wet mixture into the dry mixture and whisk until just combined. Do not over mix.
- Fill the cupcake liners about two-thirds full with batter. Bake for 15 to 18 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center of the cupcake comes out clean with a few crumbs clinging to it. Cool the cupcakes completely before frosting.
- To make the coconut frosting:
- Using a handheld or stand mixer, beat the coconut oil until smooth. With the mixer running on low, add powdered sugar, vanilla, and 1 tablespoon coconut milk at a time, as needed, until frosting reaches a spreadable consistency. You may not need to use all of the coconut milk. Beat on high for 2 more minutes until light and fluffy.
They’re vegan, so eat two.