Full disclosure: I updated this to include a new, better picture of the cookies, after making it many, many times and have finally perfected it to our tastes. I added caramel sauce into the dough which makes for a much chewier, yummier cookie. If you like caramel that is.
I will never be a food blogger. My food never turns out the way it looks in the recipe book or someone’s blog (usually a food blogger). When I’m terribly unlucky, baking disasters happen.
Sometimes though, the baking gods smile upon me and I get lucky.
They were chewy, chocolatey and slightly salty. Mine looks nothing like the original recipe which I found on The Novice Chef (ohmygod I love her site) – mine doesn’t look as evenly shaped (they’re perfect) and I did not put ice cream in my cookies. But you totally should. Both bake it and stick some ice-cream in them to make a cookie sandwich.
Go. Make. This. Now.
- 1/2 stick (57 gm) unsalted butter
- 4 ounces 70% chocolate, chopped
- 1/2 cup (62.5 gm)all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla essence
- 3/4 cup (169 gm) granulated sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 teaspoon instant espresso powder
- 1/4 cup homemade salted caramel sauce
- Large-flake sea salt for topping
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees F.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper, set aside.
- In a microwave-safe bowl, combine the chocolate and butter. Microwave in 20 second increments until chocolate and butter are melted, and stir to combine.
- Transfer chocolate mixture to the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment. Add sugar, egg, vanilla essence (updated to add) and caramel sauce; mix on medium speed until combined. Reduce speed to low; gradually mix in flour mixture.
- Roll 2 (heaping) tablespoons worth of dough between hands to create dough balls that are 2 1/2 inches in diameter. Place cookie dough balls two inches apart on baking sheet. Sprinkle tops of cookies with large-flake sea salt.
- Bake cookies for 13-15 minutes, or until tops are crackled and cookies have spread out a bit. Allow to cool on cookie sheet for 5 minutes before moving to a wire rack to cool completely.