It’s Friday and I’m doing a food post! Welcome to Foodie Friday!
And no, it’s not a linky. Or a weekly series. I just wrote ‘Foodie’ in front of Friday because I’m a big fan of alliteration. *ahem*
On Thursday, I was seized by the urge to bake something. The night before on Twitter, the subject of cupcakes came up when Jessica mentioned a craving for some. I went on to boast about my ‘famous’ lemon cupcakes with homemade lemon-lime curd.
I do not make empty boasts (if there’s such a thing).
So I made these delicious golden bites of cupcake goodness.
There is no frosting, I do not particularly enjoy frosting. Instead, it’s a filled cupcake. Filled with the goodness known as lemon-lime curd. Homemade lemon-lime curd.
Since I love, care and share, here’s the recipe, as adapted from Tartelette aka Helene Dujardin, one of my favorite food bloggers (she also takes gorgeous photographs). I changed this recipe to my taste as I love my baked goods VERY lemony and less sweet (hence the strange measurement for sugar, I reduced it).
Click here for the original Lemon Lime Mini Cakes recipe, which includes the ingredients and recipe for the cream cheese frosting, which is missing in my recipe.
- 6 oz (175 g) butter at room temperature
- 4.2 oz (120 g) caster sugar
- Grated zest of 1 lemon
- Juice of 2 lemons
- 6 oz (175 g) self-raising flour, sifted
- 1 level teaspoon baking powder
- 3 large eggs, beaten
- Ingredients for lemon-lime curd
- Grated zest and juice of 2 limes
- Grated zest and juice of 1 lemon
- 3 oz (75 g) caster sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 2 oz (50g) unsalted butter
- Preheat oven at 350F (180 Celsius). Prepare cupcake tins.
- Measure all the cupcake ingredients into a mixing bowl and beat - ideally with an electric hand whisk - until you have a smooth , creamy consistency. Then divide the mixture evenly into the cupcake tins and bake them on the centre shelf of the oven for 30-35 minutes.
- Once cupcakes are cooked, remove from oven. Remove cupcakes from the tin 30 seconds after they come out of the oven, on to a wire rack to cool.
- Method for curd
- While the cupcakes are cooking, make the curd. Prepare a saucepan of barely simmering water.
- Place the sugar and grated zest into a bowl. Whisk the lime and lemon juice together with the eggs, then pour this over the sugar and zest. Then add the butter (cut into small pieces), and place the bowl into the saucepan. Stir frequently until thickened, this may take between 15-20 minutes.
- Method for marrying the cupcake with the curd
- Once the cupcakes are cool, cut a hole in the centre of each cupcake, fill it with the curd and put the 'lid' back on.
What’s your favorite cupcake?
Linking up with Bees With Honey for Let’s Be Friends!